Collected by Julia Cosgrove, AFAR Staff
Highlights from AFAR Experiences 2011.
El-Gamaleya, Qism El-Gamaleya, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
A walk through the spice market in one of Cairo's most historic bazaars is an incredible sensory experience. As we walked down narrow paths, everyone around us coughed from the overwhelming smell of pepper and other spices.
Nasr, El-Zawya El-Hamraa El-Balad, Ash Sharabeyah, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
On the day before AFAR Experiences Cairo officially started, a group of us explored the impoverished suburb of Mansheyat Nasr. Our guide was Jawad Nabulsi, whose Nebny Foundation is working to improve access to education and medical care in the...
Misr Al Qadimah, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Darb 1718 is a cultural center in Old Cairo. It provides studio and gallery space to emerging artists from all over Egypt. This piece, painted on the side of one of the many buildings in the compound, immediately caught my eye.
Cairo, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
As part of AFAR Experiences Cairo, local hosts welcomed our group into their homes for dinner one night. I had the fortune of dining at a beautiful apartment overlooking the Nile. Conversation inevitably turned to the Revolution, and the mix of...
- 1 Travel News This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Art + Culture 9 Things That Are Surprisingly Offensive in Asia
- 3 Photography Tips The Key to Taking Jaw-Dropping Outdoor Travel Photos
- 4 Luxury Cruises A Titanic Replica Could Set Sail in 2022
- 5 Exceptional Travel Experiences The Ideal Iceland May Only Exist in Your Mind