Collected by Julia Cosgrove , AFAR Staff
Highlights from AFAR Experiences 2011.
El-Gamaleya, El Gamaliya, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
A walk through the spice market in one of Cairo's most historic bazaars is an incredible sensory experience. As we walked down narrow paths, everyone around us coughed from the overwhelming smell of pepper and other spices.
Nasr, El-Zawya El-Hamraa El-Balad, Al-Sharabiya, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
On the day before AFAR Experiences Cairo officially started, a group of us explored the impoverished suburb of Mansheyat Nasr. Our guide was Jawad Nabulsi, whose Nebny Foundation is working to improve access to education and medical care in the...
Old Cairo, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Darb 1718 is a cultural center in Old Cairo. It provides studio and gallery space to emerging artists from all over Egypt. This piece, painted on the side of one of the many buildings in the compound, immediately caught my eye.
Cairo, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
As part of AFAR Experiences Cairo, local hosts welcomed our group into their homes for dinner one night. I had the fortune of dining at a beautiful apartment overlooking the Nile. Conversation inevitably turned to the Revolution, and the mix of...
- 1 Travel News When Will We Be Able to Travel to Europe?
- 2 Travel News Europe Proposes Extending Travel Ban Until June 15
- 3 Travel News What Life Looks Like in Countries Coming Out of Lockdown
- 4 Travel News Iceland Begins to Reopen After Rigorous Testing Helps Contain Coronavirus Outbreak
- 5 Longreads Inside the Growing Community of Families on the Road, Full Time