Collected by Julia Cosgrove , AFAR Staff
Highlights from AFAR Experiences 2011.
El-Gamaleya, El Gamaliya, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
A walk through the spice market in one of Cairo's most historic bazaars is an incredible sensory experience. As we walked down narrow paths, everyone around us coughed from the overwhelming smell of pepper and other spices.
Nasr, El-Zawya El-Hamraa El-Balad, Al-Sharabiya, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
On the day before AFAR Experiences Cairo officially started, a group of us explored the impoverished suburb of Mansheyat Nasr. Our guide was Jawad Nabulsi, whose Nebny Foundation is working to improve access to education and medical care in the...
Old Cairo, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Darb 1718 is a cultural center in Old Cairo. It provides studio and gallery space to emerging artists from all over Egypt. This piece, painted on the side of one of the many buildings in the compound, immediately caught my eye.
Cairo, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
As part of AFAR Experiences Cairo, local hosts welcomed our group into their homes for dinner one night. I had the fortune of dining at a beautiful apartment overlooking the Nile. Conversation inevitably turned to the Revolution, and the mix of...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Travel News This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May