Cairo—Afar Experiences 2011
Collected by Jeremy Saum, AFAR Staff
When Afar comes to town, we have fun.
القاهرة, سراى القبة، El-Zaytoun Sharkeya, El-Zaytoun, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Darb 1718 is an arts center that's really a little neighborhood of workshops in Coptic Cairo where artisans practice traditional Egyptian crafts. At the El Nafeza foundation, they make rice-straw paper completely by hand. Here you can see sheets...
15 Meret Basha, Ismailia, Qasr an Nile, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
A sarcophagus outside the Egyptian Museum in Cairo looks up at the charred remains of the headquarters of the NDP, Hosni Mubarak's party, which ruled Egypt for decades before the January 25 revolution.
26th of July Corridor, Al Gabalayah, Zamalek, Giza Governorate, Egypt
Mohamed El Sawy, the founder of Culturewheel, an arts and community center on the banks of the Nile in Cairo, treated the Afar Experiences group to a puppet show. Mohamed is in the middle, controlling the puppet of Om Kalthoum, a singer that one...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Expat Life 11 Best Islands to Move to After Retiring
- 3 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 4 Travel News Why You Should Go to New York City This Winter
- 5 History + Culture 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter