Cairo—Afar Experiences 2011
Collected by Jeremy Saum , AFAR Staff
When Afar comes to town, we have fun.
القاهرة, سراى القبة، El-Zaytoun Sharkeya, El-Zaytoun, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Darb 1718 is an arts center that's really a little neighborhood of workshops in Coptic Cairo where artisans practice traditional Egyptian crafts. At the El Nafeza foundation, they make rice-straw paper completely by hand. Here you can see sheets...
15 Meret Basha, Ismailia, Qasr an Nile, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
A sarcophagus outside the Egyptian Museum in Cairo looks up at the charred remains of the headquarters of the NDP, Hosni Mubarak's party, which ruled Egypt for decades before the January 25 revolution.
El-Darb El-Ahmar, Cairo Governorate, Egypt
I traveled to Cairo last month with AFAR Experiences, and we visited the beautiful Sultan Hassan Mosque to meet with Imam Moez Masoud. The mosque, built in the mid-1300s, sits placidly in the midst of buzzing, honking Cairo, a peaceful oasis for...
26th of July Corridor, Al Gabalayah, Zamalek, Giza Governorate, Egypt
Mohamed El Sawy, the founder of Culturewheel, an arts and community center on the banks of the Nile in Cairo, treated the Afar Experiences group to a puppet show. Mohamed is in the middle, controlling the puppet of Om Kalthoum, a singer that one...
- 1 Hiking + Cycling 6 Dream Hikes in the United States (and How to Score the Permits)
- 2 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico
- 3 Travel News Airbnb Wants to Pay for You to Live in This Italian Village for a Whole Summer
- 4 Gear The Best Luggage for 2019
- 5 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign