Collected by Jenn Baker
Kyaukse, Myanmar (Burma)
Located in the ancient city of Inwa, the Bagaya Kyaung Monastery is constructed entirely of teak wood and is a representation of the Wayzayanta Palace, which is the highest level of heaven in Buddhism. Built in 1838 A.D., the entire monastery is...
Amarapura, Myanmar (Burma)
Mandalay. We flew there to see Amarapura, the ancient royal city for one reason: the old teak walkway without nails, which symbolizes the simplicity and Buddhist flavor of life in Myanmar (Burma). In the late afternoon, we strolled across U Bein...
Nyaung-U, Myanmar (Burma)
This was taken during sunrise over the plains of Bagan from a hot air balloon organized by Balloons Over Bagan, a first-rate ballooning outfit--while 300 bucks US might sound expensive, especially for Myanmar, let me assure you that it was worth...
Myeik, Myanmar (Burma)
Uncharted, Tropical Myanmar? Yes it does exist and it’s called the Myeik Archipelago, a cluster of 800 idyllic islands straight out of a fairytale book of your dreams. As the New York Times recently reported, this tropical archipelago -- which is...
Inle Lake, Myanmar (Burma)
I arrive at Nyaung Shwe, Inle Lake’s main development, in the dead of night and immediately book myself into a boat tour of the lake, wondering aloud if the notorious Nayar, a mythical dragon with four legs, still patrols the waters. An old man...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 4 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 5 Museums + Galleries Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna