Collected by Jenn Baker
Kyaukse, Myanmar (Burma)
Located in the ancient city of Inwa, the Bagaya Kyaung Monastery is constructed entirely of teak wood and is a representation of the Wayzayanta Palace, which is the highest level of heaven in Buddhism. Built in 1838 A.D., the entire monastery is...
Amarapura, Myanmar (Burma)
Mandalay. We flew there to see Amarapura, the ancient royal city for one reason: the old teak walkway without nails, which symbolizes the simplicity and Buddhist flavor of life in Myanmar (Burma). In the late afternoon, we strolled across U Bein...
Nyaung-U, Myanmar (Burma)
This was taken during sunrise over the plains of Bagan from a hot air balloon organized by Balloons Over Bagan, a first-rate ballooning outfit--while 300 bucks US might sound expensive, especially for Myanmar, let me assure you that it was worth...
Myeik, Myanmar (Burma)
Uncharted, Tropical Myanmar? Yes it does exist and it’s called the Myeik Archipelago, a cluster of 800 idyllic islands straight out of a fairytale book of your dreams. As the New York Times recently reported, this tropical archipelago -- which is...
Inle Lake, Myanmar (Burma)
I arrive at Nyaung Shwe, Inle Lake’s main development, in the dead of night and immediately book myself into a boat tour of the lake, wondering aloud if the notorious Nayar, a mythical dragon with four legs, still patrols the waters. An old man...
- 1Travel NewsTSA Implements New Carry-On Rules for Powders
- 2Travel NewsThere’s a Huge Sale on the Most Scenic U.S. Train Routes Right Now
- 3Where to Go in SummerHow to Take the Houseboat Vacation of Your Dreams This Summer
- 4PhotographySweden’s Magical Midsommar Festival Is Straight out of a Fairy Tale
- 5Travel TipsHow to Plan the Perfect Group Trip (Without the Stress)