Collected by Patricia Smith
Bulevard "Evlogi i Hristo Georgiev" 99А, 1000 Sofia, Bulgaria
I still don't know what drew us to it. Somehow we sensed that there was something good to be found beyond an open courtyard, and we hung around long enough to follow someone around the back of a building, through a doorway, and up some stairs, to...
1415 м. Орехите, Bulgaria
I never thought I'd actually see someone walk across a pile of hot coals--and I'm still not sure if I did. (Doesn't it defy science?) The Bulgarian tradition of nestinarstvo harkens back to a pagan ritual with bagpipes and processions, designed to...
During my time in Sofia I took a drive south to the famous Rila Monastery. This surprisingly colorful building was established in the 10th century, but experienced multiple raids during the Ottoman occupation and suffered a fire in the 19th...
- 1 Air Travel Want a Free Volunteer Vacation? JetBlue Has Your Ticket
- 2 Travel News 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 3 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys
- 4 Air Travel TSA PreCheck Members, Get Ready to Start Using Facial Recognition
- 5 Travel News New Zealand’s Most Beautiful Train Ride Is Reopening in December