Collected by AFAR Explorer
Bulevard "Evlogi i Hristo Georgiev" 99А, 1000 Sofia, Bulgaria
I still don't know what drew us to it. Somehow we sensed that there was something good to be found beyond an open courtyard, and we hung around long enough to follow someone around the back of a building, through a doorway, and up some stairs, to...
During my time in Sofia I took a drive south to the famous Rila Monastery. This surprisingly colorful building was established in the 10th century, but experienced multiple raids during the Ottoman occupation and suffered a fire in the 19th...
1415 м. Орехите, Bulgaria
I never thought I'd actually see someone walk across a pile of hot coals--and I'm still not sure if I did. (Doesn't it defy science?) The Bulgarian tradition of nestinarstvo harkens back to a pagan ritual with bagpipes and processions, designed to...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 4 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 5 Where to Go in Fall 11 Fall Foliage Train Rides to Book Right Now