Collected by AFAR Explorer
Bulevard "Evlogi i Hristo Georgiev" 99А, 1000 Old City Center, Sofia, Bulgaria
I still don't know what drew us to it. Somehow we sensed that there was something good to be found beyond an open courtyard, and we hung around long enough to follow someone around the back of a building, through a doorway, and up some stairs, to...
During my time in Sofia I took a drive south to the famous Rila Monastery. This surprisingly colorful building was established in the 10th century, but experienced multiple raids during the Ottoman occupation and suffered a fire in the 19th...
1415 м. Орехите, Bulgaria
I never thought I'd actually see someone walk across a pile of hot coals--and I'm still not sure if I did. (Doesn't it defy science?) The Bulgarian tradition of nestinarstvo harkens back to a pagan ritual with bagpipes and processions, designed to...
- 1 Air Travel Emirates Has $799 Flights for Two This Valentine’s Day—but You’ll Have to Act Fast
- 2 Expat Life The World’s Coolest Travel Jobs—and How to Get Them
- 3 Packing Tips How to Apply Marie Kondo’s Life-Changing Magic to Packing
- 4 National Parks The Ideal Road Trip Through U.S. Canyon Country
- 5 Travel News Choo-Choo Choose This Last-Minute Amtrak Sale for a Valentine’s Day Gift