British Columbia's Back Country Marvels
Collected by Flash Parker, AFAR Ambassador
Smithers, BC, Canada
To become the King of the Back Country, you’ll need the right tools – the most important of which are undoubtedly skis. But if you’re relatively new to back country skiing, you’ll want to speak to an outfitter capable of putting the right...
The Skeena River House is less a hotel and more an experience in Canadian hospitality. Run by the husband and wife team of Brad and Kim Zeerip, the house overlooks the legendary Skeena River, and offers up bedroom views of Sleeping Beauty...
3763 4 Ave, Smithers, BC V0J, Canada
The Two Sisters Café in Smithers, BC is a fabulous place for apres ski, and a great place to rub shoulders with local Smithereens. The food is fresh, local, and delicious – wraps, sandwiches, big plates, desserts – each of them crafted with lovely...
Bulkley-Nechako A, BC V0J 2N1, Canada
Imagine you’ve pulled yourself out of bed before dawn, poured yourself a fresh cup of coffee to go, and hit the open road from quaint Smithers, BC, mountains hugging you on both sides. You drive towards those mountains, park the car, and strap on...
4805 BC-16, Terrace, BC V8G 0H3, Canada
In the local tongue of the Tsimshian, the Coast Mountain Range surrounding Terrace is known as Ganeeks Laxha, or the “stairway to heaven.” It’s not difficult to see why the First Nations stewards of this land named the area such – especially when...
- 1 Natural Wonders There Are Two Meteor Showers This Month. Here’s How to Watch Them.
- 2 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 3 Air Travel New Aviation Bill Could Mean Even Smaller Airplane Seats
- 4 Holiday Travel Required Reading: 29 New Books for Every Type of Traveler
- 5 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village