Collected by Christiana Sullivan
234 Mulberry St, New York, NY 10012, USA
“The store makes you want to read. But even more interesting, it makes customers want to write, as it has an in-house machine that prints and binds your own paperbacks, and if you pay extra, your book will be displayed on a shelf there.” —Fred...
39 Rue de Bretagne, 75003 Paris, France
“My French is passable but definitely not good enough to justify lingering in French bookstores. But I do anyway. Partially, it’s because French bookstores are entirely different from ours, as are French books, bound in white. They’re so spare...
1005 W Burnside St, Portland, OR 97209, USA
An iconic name in Portland retail—as well as among readers who have never been to the city—Powell’s has multiple locations on both sides of the Willamette. The downtown store remains the one best suited for visitors to explore,...
828 Julu Rd, Jingan Qu, Shanghai Shi, China, 200085
“Books are censored in China—one reason to see what its bookstores are like. This simple, well-designed place is small, yet it manages to include a Shanghai-style café—with customers seated at a small central table for informal literary...
48603 CA-1, Big Sur, CA 93920, USA
The Henry Miller Memorial Library is a bookshop–cultural center dedicated to the bohemian author who once called Big Sur home. It has become a hot spot for concerts by the likes of Gillian Welch and Arcade Fire and a Thursday night summer...
- 1 Winter Sports This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Art + Culture 9 Things That Are Surprisingly Offensive in Asia
- 3 Travel News The Brightest Meteor Shower of the Year Is Happening This Week
- 4 Travel News You Can Pay to Attend a Traditional Wedding in India
- 5 Photography Tips The Key to Taking Jaw-Dropping Outdoor Travel Photos