Collected by Deborah Goldblatt
On a 2010 trip to Bhutan, I visited the Kichu Lhakhang Temple in Lamgong Gewog, of the Paro District. The Kichu Lhakhang is an important Himalayan Buddhist Temple, and is one of the oldest temples in Bhutan. I was immediately drawn to the gorgeous...
Chang Lam, Thimphu, Bhutan
The national sport of Bhutan is archery. Serious archery. These gentlemen (the Prince was a competitor before he became King) are so good they hit targets we couldn't even see from the competitors end of the grounds. When they did well they would...
Shop with locals atThimphu’s Weekend Market, where you can buy handwoven silks, singing bowls, and traditional masks, above. You’ll also find human bones: Thigh bones, kangdu, are blown like trumpets, and skulls, kapala, are used to hold water or...
Av. Juárez, Centro Histórico, Centro, 06050 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico
The imposing, white-domed wedding cake now known as Palacio de Bellas Artes was originally planned as a national theater, and construction was begun in 1904. The Mexican Revolution, among other things, postponed its completion until 1934, which...
Zapatero, Cartagena, Cartagena Province, Bolivar, Colombia
I was strolling around the old town of Cartagena recently when I stopped to admire the exotic fruit on a street corner. I pointed to pile of apple-sized red fruit and asked what it was. The fruit seller replied: "mejillas del gringo." Translated,...
- 1 Hiking + Cycling 6 Dream Hikes in the United States (and How to Score the Permits)
- 2 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico
- 3 Natural Wonders The Best Hot Springs in the United States
- 4 Gear The Best Luggage for 2019
- 5 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign