Best of Santorini
Collected by Gretchen Kelly, AFAR Local Expert
The elegant Minoan civilization destroyed by a volcanic eruption is on vivid display at the Museum of Prehistoric Thera. The selection of treasures here comes from Akrotiri, including some amazingly vivid frescoes such as the not-to-be-missed Blue...
There are two ways to reach the ruins of Ancient Thera: by bus or car, or by hiking from the bottom of the 360-metre high Messavouno Mountain. And since no reward ever came easy, you can bet that hiking is the way to go. Thera was a wealthy Roman...
Μεγαλοχώρι, Μεγαλοχώρι, Σαντορίνη 847 00, Greece
One of the legacies of Santorni's volcanic past is a rich, dark soil that allows fertile vineyards to produce some world-class white wines. There are a number of vineyards that offer tastings and Boutari is one of the oldest and most reliable....
Santorini 847 00, Greece
The Panagia Episkopi church in the village of Episkopi Gonia was built in the 11th century and has withstood fires, earthquakes and other disasters, some say due to the miraculous intervention by the saints venerated inside. Inside you'll find...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Expat Life 11 Best Islands to Move to After Retiring
- 3 Exceptional Travel Experiences Thailand Wants to Pay You to Travel the Country Like a Local
- 4 Where to Go in Winter The Sweetest Small Towns in the U.S. to Visit This Winter
- 5 History + Culture 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter