Best of Messina
Collected by Gretchen Kelly , AFAR Local Expert
Via Trinità, 34, 95030 Mascalucia CT, Italy
The Villa Trinità, on the slopes of Mt. Etna, has been in the Bonajuto family since 1428. The villa has a lush private garden full of aloes, prickly pear cactus, flowering palms, agaves, yuccas and an orange grove. The estate makes its own wine...
Via del Teatro Greco, 1, 98039 Taormina ME, Italy
Rather than spend the day in Messina, you may want to head to Taormina, the hillside town full of ancient history, great wines and views of the Gulf of Naxos and Mt. Etna's cloudy peaks. The Corso Umberto is the main shop-lined street in town....
Via Giuseppe Garibaldi, 317, 95019 Zafferana Etnea CT, Italy
A 90-minute drive from Messina will bring you to Zafferana, at the base of Mt. Etna. The town has picturesque volcanic vineyards and lemon groves. Before continuing on to take in the hillside views of Etna (dress for windy weather at all times of...
Piazza Pugliatti, 1, 98122 Messina ME, Italy
The highlight of Messina is its 12th-century Duomo, clock tower and the piazza where they are both found. The cathedral was partially destroyed in World War II but has been restored and is lovely and the piazza is sometimes compared to Piazza San...
- 1 Tips + News California Lifts Stay-Home Order, Allowing Travel in the State to Resume
- 2 Air Travel All Travelers to U.S. Will Need to Quarantine and Show Negative COVID Test Result
- 3 Tips + News Americans Have Traveled to Mexico Throughout COVID
- 4 Tips + News Planes, Trains, and . . . National Parks? Yep, Masks Now Required for Travel in U.S.
- 5 Tips + News When Will We Travel Abroad Again?