Best of Douglas
Collected by Kristan Schiller
Cregneash Road, IM9 5PX
Set on remote Mull Hill in the southern region of the Isle of Man, the village of Cregneash was one of the last bastions of the traditional Manx crofters—that is, tenant farmers on small lots. It was designated by Manx National Heritage as the...
6 Finch Rd, Douglas IM1 1EJ, Isle of Man
The Tynwald (or, more formally, the High Court of Tynwald) is the parliament of the Isle of Man and, at over 1,000 years old, is considered to be the oldest continuous parliamentary body in the world. It now begins each session in Douglas every...
Restored in 2005 and run by local volunteers, this Victorian-era camera first built in 1892 for the budding Manx tourist industry offers a unique way to see Douglas Harbor, Douglas Head Lighthouse and the horizon beyond. With its series of 11...
Clinch's House, Lord Street, Douglas IM99 1RZ
The Isle of Man Steam Railway still uses its original locomotives and carriages along the narrow gauge tracks that run south from Douglas through picturesque countryside to Castletown and Port Erin. If you would rather explore the island on foot,...
- 1History + CultureThe Tea Capital of Europe Isn’t Where You Think It Is
- 2Tech6 Awesome Hiking Apps for Adventurous Travelers
- 3Gear8 New Books You Need to Read Before Flying to France
- 4History + CultureIntimate Portraits of Women Who Live as Men in Remote Albania
- 5MusicBeyond the French Quarter: Discovering New Orleans’s Downriver Delights