Best of Djúpivogur
Collected by Gretchen Kelly , AFAR Local Expert
Ránarslóð, 780 Höfn í Hornafirði, Iceland
With ringside-seat views of Vatnajökull (the Vatna Glacier), the small fishing village of Höfn (which means "harbor") is the site of a major fish processing factory and a stopping point for travelers bound for more remote corners of the country....
Dynjandi, 781 Höfn í Hornafirði, Iceland
Hofellsjökull Glacier was once much larger and used to serve as a source of ice for locals to chill fish. The retreating glacier has left a large lagoon in its wake and the area is now the home of various species of birds as well as some rare and...
A visit to the fishing village of Djúpivogur may feel like a journey back in time, especially when you tour the 1790 Langabúð house museum. The town's cultural center is in a former warehouse home to folk crafts and works by Icelandic sculptor...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Travel News Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Museums + Galleries The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum