Best of Djúpivogur
Collected by Gretchen Kelly, AFAR Local Expert
Ránarslóð, 780 Höfn í Hornafirði, Iceland
With ringside-seat views of Vatnajökull (the Vatna Glacier), the small fishing village of Höfn (which means "harbor") is the site of a major fish processing factory and a stopping point for travelers bound for more remote corners of the country....
Dynjandi, 781 Höfn í Hornafirði, Iceland
Hofellsjökull Glacier was once much larger and used to serve as a source of ice for locals to chill fish. The retreating glacier has left a large lagoon in its wake and the area is now the home of various species of birds as well as some rare and...
A visit to the fishing village of Djúpivogur may feel like a journey back in time, especially when you tour the 1790 Langabúð house museum. The town's cultural center is in a former warehouse home to folk crafts and works by Icelandic sculptor...
- 1 Winter Sports This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Art + Culture 9 Things That Are Surprisingly Offensive in Asia
- 3 Photography Tips The Key to Taking Jaw-Dropping Outdoor Travel Photos
- 4 Luxury Cruises A Titanic Replica Could Set Sail in 2022
- 5 Exceptional Travel Experiences The Ideal Iceland May Only Exist in Your Mind