Best of Djúpivogur
Collected by Gretchen Kelly, AFAR Local Expert
Ránarslóð, 780 Höfn í Hornafirði, Iceland
With ringside-seat views of Vatnajökull (the Vatna Glacier), the small fishing village of Höfn (which means "harbor") is the site of a major fish processing factory and a stopping point for travelers bound for more remote corners of the country....
Dynjandi, 781 Höfn í Hornafirði, Iceland
Hofellsjökull Glacier was once much larger and used to serve as a source of ice for locals to chill fish. The retreating glacier has left a large lagoon in its wake and the area is now the home of various species of birds as well as some rare and...
A visit to the fishing village of Djúpivogur may feel like a journey back in time, especially when you tour the 1790 Langabúð house museum. The town's cultural center is in a former warehouse home to folk crafts and works by Icelandic sculptor...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 4 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 5 Where to Go in Fall 11 Fall Foliage Train Rides to Book Right Now