Best of Djúpivogur
Collected by Gretchen Kelly , AFAR Local Expert
Ránarslóð, 780 Höfn í Hornafirði, Iceland
With ringside-seat views of Vatnajökull (the Vatna Glacier), the small fishing village of Höfn (which means "harbor") is the site of a major fish processing factory and a stopping point for travelers bound for more remote corners of the country....
Dynjandi, 781 Höfn í Hornafirði, Iceland
Hofellsjökull Glacier was once much larger and used to serve as a source of ice for locals to chill fish. The retreating glacier has left a large lagoon in its wake and the area is now the home of various species of birds as well as some rare and...
A visit to the fishing village of Djúpivogur may feel like a journey back in time, especially when you tour the 1790 Langabúð house museum. The town's cultural center is in a former warehouse home to folk crafts and works by Icelandic sculptor...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Restaurants + Cafés This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May