Best of Basque Country
Collected by Lindsey Tramuta, AFAR Contributor
64250 Espelette, France
Like most of the quaint towns in the Basque country, Espelette is brimming with cultural and culinary riches. Just twenty minutes from the coast and hugged by mountains, this town of 2,000 is best known for the pepper of the same known grown...
Cazenave, 40290 Misson, France
Allée Port des Pêcheurs, 64200 Biarritz, France
The unintentional charm of the "crampottes", the small houses where the local fisherman hang their rope and buoys, are just another picturesque feature of the port. I walk through here almost daily on my holidays, whether it's summer, fall or...
Getaria, Gipuzkoa, Spain
Last Summer we made a little road trip which involved fantastic beaches, lovely weather, amazing food and gorgeous landscapes. We visited the Golfe de Gascone. We started in Saint Jean de Luz. It’s a great place but it’s so full of people that it...
64500 Saint-Jean-de-Luz, France
A short drive from the somewhat more crowded beaches and pinxto stands of San Sebastian, Spain, the twin towns of St Jean de Luz and Biarritz in France are worth the drive (and the $20 Euros in highway tolls!). The water is too rough for children,...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 4 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 5 Where to Go in Fall 11 Fall Foliage Train Rides to Book Right Now