Best of Basque Country
Collected by Lindsey Tramuta , AFAR Contributor
64250 Espelette, France
Like most of the quaint towns in the Basque country, Espelette is brimming with cultural and culinary riches. Just twenty minutes from the coast and hugged by mountains, this town of 2,000 is best known for the pepper of the same known grown...
Cazenave, 40290 Misson, France
Allée Port des Pêcheurs, 64200 Biarritz, France
The unintentional charm of the "crampottes", the small houses where the local fisherman hang their rope and buoys, are just another picturesque feature of the port. I walk through here almost daily on my holidays, whether it's summer, fall or...
Getaria, Gipuzkoa, Spain
Last Summer we made a little road trip which involved fantastic beaches, lovely weather, amazing food and gorgeous landscapes. We visited the Golfe de Gascone. We started in Saint Jean de Luz. It’s a great place but it’s so full of people that it...
64500 Saint-Jean-de-Luz, France
A short drive from the somewhat more crowded beaches and pinxto stands of San Sebastian, Spain, the twin towns of St Jean de Luz and Biarritz in France are worth the drive (and the $20 Euros in highway tolls!). The water is too rough for children,...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Restaurants + Cafés This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Summer 10 Best Places to Travel in May