Best Day Trips From Tokyo
Collected by Erin Bogar, AFAR Local Expert
2 Chome-1-31 Yukinoshita, Kamakura-shi, Kanagawa-ken 248-8588, Japan
Kamakura, Japan's medieval capital, is full of ancient sites and only a 40-minute train ride from Tokyo. It's full of temples, shrines, sailing, surfing, and souvenir shops. Make sure to see the Daibutsu, the over 750 year old and 40 ft tall...
3 Chome-10-22 Hase, Kamakura-shi, Kanagawa-ken 248-0016, Japan
Just a five minute train ride from the center of Kamakura is the Daibutsu, a giant Buddhist statue. This bronze statue was created 761 years ago. My husband's grandfather has photos of himself with the Daibutsu from 1945 when he was stationed...
Hakone, Ashigarashimo District, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
Hakone is about an hour train ride from central Tokyo, but it feels a world away. This scenic mountainous region is a lovely place to spend a weekend away from the city. There's plenty to see and do to keep the entire family satisfied. The Hakone...
- 1 Travel News This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Natural Wonders The Brightest Meteor Shower of the Year Is Happening This Week
- 3 Travel News What Travelers Need to Know About the Paris Riots
- 4 Travel News There’s a Huge Sale on the Most Scenic U.S. Train Routes Right Now
- 5 Romance 9 of the World’s Most Romantic Winter Wonderlands