Bergen's Top 10
Collected by Heidi Sarna, AFAR Local Expert
Bryggen, 5003 Bergen, Norway
Originally built in the 13th century by Norway’s King Håkon Håkonsson as a stone wall to protect the community’s wooden homes from fire and enemy attacks, by the 1600s Bergenhus had become a fortress to be reckoned with. Today, the oldest...
Bergenhus 4, 5003 Bergen, Norway
Every good fortress has a fortified lookout tower and Bergenhus Fort is no exception. Built in the mid-1500s, the five-story Rosenkrantz Tower was named after the then-governor of Bergen Castle, Erik Rosenkrantz. The stone tower served as both a...
Baronivegen 60, 5470 Rosendal, Norway
This lovely 17th-century whitewashed manor house is surrounded by 60 acres of landscaped gardens, including gorgeous rose gardens. It’s an excellent place to spend a summer afternoon and Rosendal frequently hosts concerts, plays and art...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 4 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 5 Museums + Galleries Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna