Bergen's Top 10
Collected by Heidi Sarna, AFAR Local Expert
Bryggen, 5003 Bergen, Norway
Originally built in the 13th century by Norway’s King Håkon Håkonsson as a stone wall to protect the community’s wooden homes from fire and enemy attacks, by the 1600s Bergenhus had become a fortress to be reckoned with. Today, the oldest...
Bergenhus 4, 5003 Bergen, Norway
Every good fortress has a fortified lookout tower and Bergenhus Fort is no exception. Built in the mid-1500s, the five-story Rosenkrantz Tower was named after the then-governor of Bergen Castle, Erik Rosenkrantz. The stone tower served as both a...
Baronivegen 60, 5470 Rosendal, Norway
This lovely 17th-century whitewashed manor house is surrounded by 60 acres of landscaped gardens, including gorgeous rose gardens. It’s an excellent place to spend a summer afternoon and Rosendal frequently hosts concerts, plays and art...
- 1Where to Go in SummerThe Sweetest Small Towns in the U.S. to Visit This Summer
- 2Air TravelDelta Just Made Its Economy Seats Bigger
- 3News and OpeningsAmsterdam’s Tiny Bridge Houses Are Now One-of-a-Kind Hotel Suites
- 4Travel NewsThe Best Amazon Prime Day Deals for Travelers
- 5Travel NewsYou Could Be Denied a Passport if You Have Unpaid Taxes