Bergen's Top 10
Collected by Heidi Sarna , AFAR Local Expert
Bryggen, 5003 Bergen, Norway
Originally built in the 13th century by Norway’s King Håkon Håkonsson as a stone wall to protect the community’s wooden homes from fire and enemy attacks, by the 1600s Bergenhus had become a fortress to be reckoned with. Today, the oldest...
Bergenhus 4, 5003 Bergen, Norway
Every good fortress has a fortified lookout tower and Bergenhus Fort is no exception. Built in the mid-1500s, the five-story Rosenkrantz Tower was named after the then-governor of Bergen Castle, Erik Rosenkrantz. The stone tower served as both a...
Baronivegen 60, 5470 Rosendal, Norway
This lovely 17th-century whitewashed manor house is surrounded by 60 acres of landscaped gardens, including gorgeous rose gardens. It’s an excellent place to spend a summer afternoon and Rosendal frequently hosts concerts, plays and art...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Where to Go in Fall Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Travel News The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum