Beaches I know and love
Collected by Kiara Downey, AFAR Local Expert
Todos Santos, Baja California Sur, Mexico
The most rugged, sketchy roads always seem to lead to the best surf breaks. This photo captures the early morning drive over the hill to Cerritos beach in Baja Mexico. Down below I discovered perfect, glassy rights and only a few early risers in...
Stone Town, Zanzibar, Tanzania
As easy as it would be to spend an entire trip to Zanzibar lazing around on soft-sand beaches, it’s well worth skipping an hour or two of sunbathing to see Stone Town, the ancient district of Zanzibar. With its narrow cobblestoned streets,...
4726 Santa Monica Ave, San Diego, CA 92107, USA
Being a runner, it grounds me when I have the chance to run on a beach in a new city. Not only do you get a nice workout in, it's a great and efficient way to get the vibe of the locals. Try and write the word "Run" in as many languages and as...
Playa Guiones, Guanacaste Province, Costa Rica
After a morning surf session on perfect 2-3 ft. curlers, the wind picks up and turns the break into something else. That's when it is time to stretch the legs and take a stroll along the peaceful Playa Guiones. Each day here starts this way, and...
- 1 Natural Wonders There Are Two Meteor Showers This Month. Here’s How to Watch Them.
- 2 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 3 Air Travel New Aviation Bill Could Mean Even Smaller Airplane Seats
- 4 Holiday Travel Required Reading: 29 New Books for Every Type of Traveler
- 5 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village