Awesome Synagogues Around the World
Collected by Carolina Gomes-Casseres
Vězeňská 1, 110 00 Praha 1-Staré Město, Czechia
A few steps from Prague's beautiful Spanish Synagogue, in the middle of Dusni Street where the city's most famous writer used to live, a headless, handless and footless giant supports a much smaller Kafka riding on his shoulders. The artist says...
2300 Tomar, Portugal
Tomar Portugal is an amazing place to visit. Within this small town is a beautiful castle built by the Knights Templar, a jewish quarter with the oldest synagogue in Portugal (museum as well) and one of the funkiest museums ever visited- the...
Carrer de Marlet', 5, 08002 Barcelona, Spain
Head to the Gothic Quarter—once home to Barcelona's storied Jewish neighborhood, El Call—and look for the Sinagoga Major (Major Synagogue). The museum, built on the site of the city's oldest temple, is only two rooms, but it...
Oranienburger Str. 28-30, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Being in Berlin it is surprising to see any sign of religion, especially that of Judaism. With the horror of the Nazis and the oppression of the communists it is a wonder anything survived. Synagogues in Berlin are like an old man who never...
Hanchi di Snoa 29, Punda, Willemstad, Curaçao
For hundreds of years, Curaçao has had a significant Jewish community who helped make the island a center of trade and banking. Their heritage is in evidence at the "Hope of Israel" synagogue, consecrated in 1732. The Dutch-colonial...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 4 Air Travel New Aviation Bill Could Mean Even Smaller Airplane Seats
- 5 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village