Awesome Synagogues Around the World
Collected by Carolina Gomes-Casseres
Vězeňská 1, 110 00 Praha 1-Staré Město, Czechia
A few steps from Prague's beautiful Spanish Synagogue, in the middle of Dusni Street where the city's most famous writer used to live, a headless, handless and footless giant supports a much smaller Kafka riding on his shoulders. The artist says...
2300 Tomar, Portugal
Tomar Portugal is an amazing place to visit. Within this small town is a beautiful castle built by the Knights Templar, a jewish quarter with the oldest synagogue in Portugal (museum as well) and one of the funkiest museums ever visited- the...
Carrer de Marlet, 5, 08002 Barcelona, Spain
Head to the Gothic Quarter—once home to Barcelona's storied Jewish neighborhood, El Call—and look for the Sinagoga Major (Major Synagogue). The museum, built on the site of the city's oldest temple, is only two rooms, but it...
Oranienburger Str. 28-30, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Being in Berlin it is surprising to see any sign of religion, especially that of Judaism. With the horror of the Nazis and the oppression of the communists it is a wonder anything survived. Synagogues in Berlin are like an old man who never...
Hanchi di Snoa 29, Punda, Willemstad, Curaçao
A block-long bright yellow building standing almost fortress-like above the surrounding streets in Willemstad, the Mikve Israel-Emanuel Synagogue bears testament to the long history of Judaism in the Americas. Built in 1730, it is the oldest...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Travel News This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May