Auckland Day Trip: Waiheke
Collected by Guy Needham, AFAR Local Expert
Only a 40-minute ferry ride from Auckland's city center, Waiheke Island is the jewel in the crown of the Hauraki Gulf—and you'll want to allow time for hiking, lunching, and wine tasting.
20 Sea View Rd, Ostend, Waiheke Island 1081, New Zealand
Waiheke Island is carved with numerous scalloped coves along the leafy mountain coastline about 45 minutes from Auckland. It’s both the weekend retreat for New Zealand’s upper crusts and full time home for eclectic middle-age men and women who...
Oneroa, Auckland, New Zealand
Only 35 minutes away from Auckland City by ferry, Mudbrick Restaurant is one of the gems of Waiheke Island. A short taxi ride from Matiatia Wharf and you're there - trying to decide whether you should be looking at the view or the menu. A...
Unit 3 a, Matiatia wharf, Matiatia, 6 Oceanview Rd, Waiheke Island, Auckland 1081, New Zealand
We originally planned to rent bikes to visit the wineries on Waiheke Island, but due to the threat of rain, we decided to rent a car. Unexpectedly, we ended up with a roadster with bat-wing doors (felt like it would break down at any minute, but...
153 Oceanview Rd, Oneroa, Auckland 1081, New Zealand
It seems like Vino Vino has been around for ages, but despite all the new competition it continues to hold its head high with what I consider the best views in Oneroa. the food is as sensational as ever - big juicy scallops as entrees,...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Travel News 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 4 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 5 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys