Collected by AFAR Explorer
Athinas, Athina 105 51, Greece
The noisy, smelly, chaos of Athens Central Market is an experience no foodie (or photographer) should miss. The colours, shapes and patterns are a compositional dream, but the market is not for the squeamish. You can find every conceivable...
Anafiotika, Athina 105 58, Greece
Anafiotika is best described as a tiny village planted in the middle of a major city. I still think anyone visiting Athens should make an effort to venture away from the usual sights and explore this hidden gem. You'll find scenic walkways such as...
Akropolis, Athina 105 58, Greece
See our full list of Where to Go in 2015. According to legend, the ancient gods battled it out to become Athens' patron deity. The showdown came after the Phoenicians founded a city at a giant rock near the Aegean some two and a half million years...
Athens 105 57, Greece
The Temple of Olympian Zeus was the largest of all the known temples in Athens, around twice the size of the Parthenon. The Parthenon still stands fairly close to its original size, whereas the Temple of Olympian Zeus is now just a...
Mitropoleos, Athina 105 56, Greece
My new Greek friend introduced me to the "freddo cappuccino," something very different than anything found in Italy or anywhere else for that matter. I got scolded for slurping it up in under three minutes and was told the Greek way is to make it...
Athens 105 58, Greece
Acropolis is one of the world's most famous landmarks and Greece's center of history and culture. The Parthenon is the largest structure of the Acropolis and is admired by the entire world. The temple was complete in 438 BC and was dedicated to...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 4 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 5 Where to Go in Fall 11 Fall Foliage Train Rides to Book Right Now