Collected by Arwen Joyce, AFAR Local Expert
Kaikawala, Sri Lanka
While jogging on Induruwa beach in the early morning I came across this lobster fisherman casting his line into an ocean pool formed by boulders just off the coast. He told me he can sell lobsters for Rs. 3500 per kilo (about $30 for 2.2 lbs) and...
Kaikawala,Induruwa, Bentota 86443, Sri Lanka
Sri Villas on Induruwa Beach, Sri Lanka (accessible by the Galle Road between Colombo and Galle just south of Bentota) can be rented by the room or by the house. 12 friends and I had the entire compound to ourselves for a few days last week - what...
77, Jalan Muntri, George Town, 10200 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Muntri Mews in Penang is my kind of hotel. Formerly an old mews house, its owners have fitted it out with clean, comfortable rooms that retain the charm of their days as stables (think romantic mosquito nets and wooden beam architectural details)....
No.228 2nd Cross Street, Colombo 01100, Sri Lanka
N.B. If you are an American switching planes and carriers in India (i.e. you booked flights on two separate airlines) you need a transit visa. My friend Jason found this out too late to apply for the visa at home and unfortunately spent most of...
Bonham Trade Centre, 50-54 Bonham Strand, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
Bright red Chinese characters dominate one end of Bonham Strand West in Hong Kong's traditional merchant neighborhood of Sheung Wan. If you are in the market for edible birds' nests, herbal medicines or dried seafood by the bushel, this is the...
- 1 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 2 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 3 News and Openings 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 4 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys
- 5 Travel News New Zealand’s Most Beautiful Train Ride Is Reopening in December