Collected by Layne Tisdel Martin
Paradise Bay, Antarctica
The Antarctic weather was unpredictable and often inhospitable throughout our 1-week expedition cruise. Dramamine came in really handy the last day as we sailed the Gerlach Straight. I popped them like candy before cautiously eating dinner. Just a...
Deception Island, Antarctica
All that remains of the whaling station at Whalers Bay in Deception Island are some rusted out buildings, and whale skeletons. It’s strange to walk around the buildings and imagine what the area was like in it’s height of operation. Big boiling...
The Lindblad–National Geographic Explorer, which hosted writer Chris Jones, carries only 148 passengers. The small size lets it reach some of Antarctica’s most remote places, and pro photographers are on board to help you capture the magic....
Days on Abercrombie & Kent’s Le Boreal offer naturalist-led outings—you’ll learn to tell a macaroni penguin from an Adélie—while nights bring time to relax on your private balcony. Twelve-day cruises from $12,495. This appeared in the...
- 1 Winter Sports This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Art + Culture 9 Things That Are Surprisingly Offensive in Asia
- 3 Photography Tips The Key to Taking Jaw-Dropping Outdoor Travel Photos
- 4 Luxury Cruises A Titanic Replica Could Set Sail in 2022
- 5 Expedition Cruises Take This Quiz to Find Your Perfect Cruise Destination Sponsored by Crystal Yacht Expedition Cruises