An Active Adventure Through Peru
Collected by Grace Renner , AFAR Staff
To fuel your active adventure through Peru, start with a gastronomic tour of Lima, and discover why it's one of the culinary capitals of the world. The tour begins at a traditional roastery in the Barranco district, where you can sample organic...
Huayna Picchu, 08680, Peru
Huayna Picchu is the landmark peak at Machu Picchu from which the classic, shot-from-above postcard photos are typically taken. While the views are spectacular, of course, the trail is not easy, studded with precarious, sometimes uneven stone...
Urubamba River, Peru
Spend your morning river rafting the Urubamba River and take in the breath-taking mountain views along the way. We began near the town of Urubamba and headed towards Ollantaytambo. The Urubamba River is fairly calm in most areas, but does contain...
Calle Roca Fuerte 245, Urubamba, Peru
Let the Urubamba River set your course during a thrilling rafting adventure along the Ollantaytambo rapids, available through the Belmond. The river helped form what is now the Sacred Valley, and along the way you'll not only sense its power, but...
Vigil, P'isac, Peru
After an incredibly active journey through Peru, the perfect way to close out your trip is to treat yourself with some souvenirs from the Pisac Market. The Pisac Market was traditionally only open on Sunday, but is now open most days of the week....
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Restaurants + Cafés This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May