Collected by AFAR Explorer
Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2-14, 1012 CP Amsterdam, Netherlands
One of Amsterdam’s original luxury hotels, a holdover from the late 19th century’s age of Grand Tours and neoclassical architecture, the imposing De L’Europe has been thoughtfully restored in keeping with both its opulent history...
Professor Tulpplein 1, 1018 GX Amsterdam, Netherlands
An Old World grande dame of the 19th-century tradition, the InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam presides over the Amstel River from its waterfront perch at the eastern edge of the original city. An imposing example of a Dutch take on French...
Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, Netherlands
Originally a 15th-century convent, with stints as the headquarters of the Dutch Admiralty and Amsterdam’s town hall, the Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam—or simply, the Grand—presides over the heart of the old city. An imposing...
Herengracht 542-556, 1017 CG Amsterdam, Netherlands
When the Waldorf Astoria opened its Amsterdam outpost in 2014, the iconic brand took six 17th- and 18th-century canal houses—two of which used to be official residences for the mayor, and at least three of which have architectural details by...
- 1Restaurants + CafésThe Best Farm-to-Table Restaurants for a Fall Harvest Feast
- 2Travel NewsThe Best Meteor Shower of the Year Peaks This Weekend
- 3Gear8 New Books You Need to Read Before Flying to France
- 4MusicBeyond the French Quarter: Discovering New Orleans’s Downriver Delights
- 5Where to Go in FallAn Expert Guide to Working Remotely and Traveling the World