Collected by Amelia Bienstock
Amelia Bienstock′s Wishlist
Agiou Markou 8, Chania 731 32, Greece
Chania is arguably the most beautiful port city on Crete island, and it owes this title to its lovely Venetian Harbour. Walk through a maze of streets and alleyways and you'll eventually emerge onto the colourful waterfront. Other than the iconic...
Dedalou, Iraklio 714 09, Greece
The remarkably mazelike passages of the palace of Knossos were excavated in the early 20th century. Until then the myth of King Minos who kept the bull-headed Minotaur in a secret labyrinth was regarded as, well, a myth. Archaeologists now agree...
Melidoni, Μελιδόνι, Rethimno 740 52, Greece
The Melidoni cave is on the Old Heraklion Road between Rethymno and Heraklion. This cave was used for religious ceremonies during the Minoan times. It also played an important role during the period of the Ottoman occupation. Villagers fled to the...
Chandakos 29, Iraklio 712 02, Greece
Lose yourself in this wonderful bookstore where you'll find the shelves well stocked with reading material in many different languages, including guidebooks, maps and books devoted to traveling around Crete and the history of the island.
Malia 700 07, Greece
Like Knossos, Malia is an ancient Minoan palace complex, easily reached from Iráklion. Unlike its more famous sibling, however, little reconstruction work has been done here. This means you can view the extensive remains as they were first...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Exceptional Travel Experiences Thailand Wants to Pay You to Travel the Country Like a Local
- 3 Where to Go in Winter The Sweetest Small Towns in the U.S. to Visit This Winter
- 4 History + Culture 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter
- 5 Air Travel Travelers’ Biggest Pet Peeves Ranked