Deep in the heart of the Amazon, the city of Manaus, home to 2 million residents, is the largest city in the rain forest. The city dates back to the end of the 17th century, but it is perhaps best known for the opulence of its late-19th-century...
Look at a map of the Amazon, and you'll see that it is not one river but more than a thousand. Somewhere around 1,100 tributaries flow into the Amazon to create the world's largest river. Just downstream from Manaus, the place where two of these...
At the mouth of the Amazon, Marajó is the world's largest fluvial (that is, river) island. With an area of 40,100 square kilometers (15,500 square miles), it is just a little smaller than Switzerland yet with a population of only some...
- 1 Travel News This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Art + Culture 9 Things That Are Surprisingly Offensive in Asia
- 3 Photography Tips The Key to Taking Jaw-Dropping Outdoor Travel Photos
- 4 Luxury Cruises A Titanic Replica Could Set Sail in 2022
- 5 Expedition Cruises Take This Quiz to Find Your Perfect Cruise Destination Sponsored by Crystal Yacht Expedition Cruises