Deep in the heart of the Amazon, the city of Manaus, home to 2 million residents, is the largest city in the rain forest. The city dates back to the end of the 17th century, but it is perhaps best known for the opulence of its late-19th-century...
Look at a map of the Amazon, and you'll see that it is not one river but more than a thousand. Somewhere around 1,100 tributaries flow into the Amazon to create the world's largest river. Just downstream from Manaus, the place where two of these...
At the mouth of the Amazon, Marajó is the world's largest fluvial (that is, river) island. With an area of 40,100 square kilometers (15,500 square miles), it is just a little smaller than Switzerland yet with a population of only some...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Travel News Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Travel News The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum