Alyeska/Girdwood's Top 5
Collected by Marlene Goldman, AFAR Contributor
Tram Cir, Girdwood, AK 99587, USA
Ascending 617 meters (2,024 feet) in elevation to the top of Mount Alyeska from a starting point at the Hotel Alyeska, the resort's aerial tram runs at half-speed in the summer, giving riders a seven-minute journey during which they can enjoy...
Mile 79 Seward Hwy, Girdwood, AK 99587, USA
First opened to the public in 1993, the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center spans 81 hectares (200 acres) on the shores of Turnagain Arm and is home to bears, wood bison, coyotes, eagles, moose and musk ox among other native species. The center...
Portage Pass Trail, Anchorage, AK, USA
Set in the Chugach National Forest along the Kenai Peninsula, Portage Glacier once filled its entire 23-kilometer (14-mile) valley but is now rapidly receding. Visitors may want to first stop at the Begich, Boggs Visitor Center with its...
Girdwood, Anchorage, AK, USA
Based out of the Great Alaskan Tourist Trap, Girdwood Mushing Company offers its Summer Sled Dog Adventure and Scenic Mountain Tour, which includes a stop at the company’s dog kennel. Iditarod musher Nicolas Petit regales visitors with stories...
- 1 Winter Sports This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Art + Culture 9 Things That Are Surprisingly Offensive in Asia
- 3 Photography Tips The Key to Taking Jaw-Dropping Outdoor Travel Photos
- 4 Luxury Cruises A Titanic Replica Could Set Sail in 2022
- 5 Expedition Cruises Take This Quiz to Find Your Perfect Cruise Destination Sponsored by Crystal Yacht Expedition Cruises