Ålesund’s Top 10
Collected by Dawn Reiss , AFAR Contributor
Museumsvegen 1, 6015 Ålesund, Norway
This open-air museum offers a glimpse into the past with more than 50 distinct historic homes and buildings. Among the buildings waiting to be explored are barns, workshops, small homes with sod roofs and a church. There are also more than 40...
Alnesgard, 6055 Godøya, Norway
Take a scenic half-hour drive across toll-free roads and bridges from Ålesund to Godøy Island to view this quaint red-and-white lighthouse. The current 26-meter-tall wooden lighthouse was built in 1876 and automated in 1982. It is one of the most...
Sukkertoppen, Ålesund, Norway
Take a leisurely hike up Sukkertoppen mountain for picturesque views of Ålesund, the Ålesund fjord and the ocean. Most visitors make the relatively easy climb in 40 to 60 minutes. It’s located on Hessa, one of the seven islands that make up the...
Apotekergata 16, 6004 Ålesund, Norway
No other Norwegian city looks like Ålesund. A walk around its compact streets will give you a profound appreciation of Art Nouveau architecture, but the Jugendstilsenteret (or Jugendstil Art Nouveau Centre in English) satisfies curious minds...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Restaurants + Cafés This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May