Collected by Rebecca Die
You can't help but be awed by what a glacier and a few thousand years can do to a landscape. As we hiked closer to Exit Glacier I become aware of the enormity of this sheet of ice that has carved out the valley and the river behind us. Signposts...
227 Airport Rd, Nome, AK 99762, USA
Musk Ox have inhabited the frozen arctic north for thousands of years. Their undercoat of hair that keeps them warm throughout the winter and falls out as the temperature rises. This is a prize wool for the natives to spin and knit scarfs, mittens...
312 Stikine Ave, Wrangell, AK 99929, USA
In Wrangell, Alaska, an old lodge that once belonged to Chief Shakes has been restored with many of the original (or recreations of the original) carvings on furniture and the poles that hold up the roof. Carved wooden whale oil lamps still hang...
4380 Homer Spit Rd, Homer, AK 99603, USA
If you find yourself in Homer Alaska, a visit to The Salty Dawg Saloon is in order. What I remember of Homer Alaska is fishing boats, cool air off the water, and friendly people. What I liked about the Salty Dawg Saloon was its charming rustic...
Whittier, AK 99693, USA
The drive from Anchorage to Whittier is stunning, and our vehicle was full of, “whoa, look at that!” and “what, are you kidding? this is amazing!!” Whittier, population 200, was basically buried in snow, and can only be reached when traveling...
- 1 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 2 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 3 Travel News 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 4 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys
- 5 Travel News New Zealand’s Most Beautiful Train Ride Is Reopening in December