Collected by Kate McCarthy
Turnagain Arm, Alaska, USA
The first hour-plus drive down the Kenai Peninsula south of Anchorage is perhaps the most dramatic. Riding along the Cook Inlet, the mountain scenery is fantastic. In the late summer, there’s a chance of spotting some of the 350 or so beluga...
1201 E Whitney Rd, Anchorage, AK 99501, USA
There are not very many roads through the interior of Alaska, and even fewer rail lines. The main Alaska Railroad line runs from Seward, through Anchorage, to Fairbanks, through pristine Alaskan wilderness. Breathtaking views of Denali (Mount...
610 W 6th Ave, Anchorage, AK 99501, USA
After getting some work done at Kaladi Brothers Coffee with the help of my four-shot espresso, I asked one of the ladies there if she had a good recommendation for lunch. Without hesitation she pointed me toward Humpy’s, which was right across the...
194 Olympic Mountain Loop, Girdwood, AK 99587, USA
Most people visiting Girdwood are there to ski at Alyeska or hike the trails in the summertime. When I lived in Alaska, these were common activities for me as well, but during the months I was in Girdwood, I also never missed an chance to hit The...
Whittier, AK 99693, USA
The drive from Anchorage to Whittier is stunning, and our vehicle was full of, “whoa, look at that!” and “what, are you kidding? this is amazing!!” Whittier, population 200, was basically buried in snow, and can only be reached when traveling...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 4 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 5 Where to Go in Fall 11 Fall Foliage Train Rides to Book Right Now