Collected by AFAR Explorer
AFAR Explorer′s Wishlist
While Malta’s uninhabited third island of Comino may be mostly barren and feature only a few hotels, it’s got one very popular destination: The Blue Lagoon. Visitors mostly drift over for the day by private boat or an organized trip that includes...
Triq Tal-Prajjet, Il-Mellieħa, Malta
If ever you wondered about Robin Williams’ contribution to Malta, this fully constructed film set for his 1980 musical “Popeye” will give it to you straight. Built over the course of 7 months on the main island’s northwestern Anchor Bay by a...
Fort Rikasoli, St. Rocco Street, Il-Kalkara KKR 9062, Malta
Built by the Knights of Malta in the late 16th century to protect the harbor from land and naval attacks, this largely in-tact fort is now closed to the public and only used by the Malta Film Commission for period films such as “Troy” and “...
Despite its origin in the late Middle Ages, Fort St. Elmo was named such in 1850 as an old British army barracks. It also played an important role against the Italians in the second World War, making it the perfect destination to house the country...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 4 News and Openings 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 5 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys