Collected by AFAR Explorer
AFAR Explorer′s Wishlist
Johri Bazar, Gangori Bazar, Pink City, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302003, India
Johri is Hindi for jeweler, and you’ll find plenty of examples at this Indian bazaar. Rajasthani brides visit before their big day for the Crayola spectrum of saris. Pick up impossibly soft pashminas and silver-threaded sandals, too. No wedding...
Beyazıt Mh., 34126 Fatih/İstanbul, Turkey
Soon after conquering Constantinople and defeating the Byzantines in 1453, Ottoman Sultan Mehmet II commissioned the beginnings of the Grand Bazaar to reinvigorate trade with the city. More than 550 years later, the bazaar is one of the oldest...
Plaza San Jacinto 11, San Ángel TNT, San Ángel, 01000 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico
Once a separate municipality, San Ángel—in the city’s south, nestled into its western foothills—is a leafy, genteel enclave whose relative isolation adds a soigné feel (for better or worse) you won’t find in...
Slip Rd, Nairobi, Kenya
The Maasai Market is an excellent spot to get all kinds of handmade crafts, jewelry, beads, woodwork, and art in the middle of Nairobi. My favorite items were the stacks of fabrics with Maasai prints, plaids, and Barack Obama screens. At this...
Chakkrawat, Samphanthawong, Bangkok, Thailand
Saphan Phut (Memorial Bridge) market is the alternative to the tourist obliterated markets of Bangkok. The crowd here is 100% locals and teenagers, and it makes for some great people-watching. I had my tarot cards read here in enthusiastic if not...
- 1 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 2 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 3 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 4 Travel News Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna
- 5 Bars + Nightlife The Best Rooftop Bars in Los Angeles