Collected by AFAR Explorer
AFAR Explorer′s Wishlist
Shirakawa, Ono District, Gifu Prefecture, Japan
We visited the Unesco heritage site of Shirakawa-go when we went to Takayama. This little village is set deep in the northern alps of Japan. It was declared a UNESCO world heritage site in 1995, due to the traditional gassho-zukuri farmhouses,...
Takayama, Gifu Prefecture, Japan
The picturesque city of Takayama straddles a river and the historic district at its center consists primarily of galleries, museums, small shops, sake breweries, cafes and preserved houses dating back to the Edo Period. What to do in 48 hours: -...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Exceptional Travel Experiences Thailand Wants to Pay You to Travel the Country Like a Local
- 3 Where to Go in Winter The Sweetest Small Towns in the U.S. to Visit This Winter
- 4 Air Travel AFAR Readers Reveal Their Favorite U.S. Airports
- 5 Where to Go in Winter 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter