Collected by Joan Wharton , AFAR Local Expert
Some of my favorite adventures from around the world.
Machu Pichu, 08680, Peru
This month marks the hundred-year-anniversary of the "re-discovery" of this Inca citadel by Hiram Bingham. Machu Picchu deserves its clichés--'place of a lifetime,' 'bucket-list destination'...'mystical'...'amazing'... Sometimes, it's okay...
Lago Sandoval, Peru
One of the most memorable day trips you can take on a visit to the Peruvian Amazon is to the one-of-a-kind Lake Sandoval, a short hike from the Madre de Dios River, a tributary of the mighty Amazon. My husband and I visited Lake Sandoval during a...
138 Emerald Bay Rd, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150, USA
Hiking in the Desolation Wilderness backcountry area around Lake Tahoe is one of my favorite things to do and has been since I was a kid. In September, I took my husband hiking in Desolation Wilderness to show him some of the best places I went...
Echo Lakes Rd, California 95721, USA
One of the best hikes in Lake Tahoe is the mostly-flat, kid-friendly hike along Echo Lakes. With their crystal clear waters and surrounding mountain peaks, some of the highest in the Tahoe area, Lower and Upper Echo Lakes offer some of the most...
Manú Province, Peru
An easy 25-minute flight from Cuzco and you can be in the river town of Puerto Maldonado, the start of a truly unforgettable experience in the Peruvian Amazon. A stay at the amazing Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica ecolodge was my first jungle...
- 1 Travel News The Real Story Behind Venice’s Newly Crystal-Clear Canals
- 2 Travel News Quarantine. Self-Isolation. Lockdown. Shelter in Place. What’s the Difference?
- 3 Travel News Virtual Museum Tours, Performances, and Tutorials to Keep You (and Your Kids) Entertained at Home
- 4 Air Travel TSA Just Made Some Major Changes to Its Rules Due to Coronavirus
- 5 Travel News What Life Looks Like in Locked-Down Countries