A Designer’s Weekend in Tokyo
Collected by Anne Nguyen, AFAR Contributor
As a designer, I am deeply influenced by the subtlety and simplicity inherent in Japanese designs. On my recent trip to Tokyo, I found many personal design inspirations at these five places.
Japan, 〒104-0061 Tōkyō-to, Chūō-ku, Ginza, 7 Chome−7, 中央区銀座７丁目７−２ DNP銀座ビル1F
Dai Nippon Printing Company opened the Ginza Graphic Gallery (GGG) in 1986 to promote and preserve printed design created in Japan and around the world. Through out the year, exhibitions are held to highlight a figure or a theme in graphic design....
18-12 Sarugakuchō, 渋谷区 Shibuya-ku, Tōkyō-to 150-0033, Japan
Mina Perhonen is a clothing brand that modern Japanese women have coveted for more than two decades. What sets this label apart is the combination of Japanese sensibilities and Finnish style. For each new collection, designer and owner Akira...
Japan, 〒150-0033 Tokyo, Shibuya, Sarugakucho, 17−５ ＤＡＩＫＡＮＹＡＭＡ Ｔ－ＳＩＴＥ蔦屋書店 １号館、３号館、２号館１階
A short walk from Daikanyama Station is one of the metropolis's iconic bookstores, Tsutaya at T-Site. Designed by Klein Dytham Architecture, the Tsutaya bookstore is celebrated not only for the beauty of its three buildings but also for the...
Japan, 〒104-0061 Tōkyō-to, Chūō-ku, Ginza, 1 Chome−7, 東京都中央区銀座１丁目７−７ ポーラ銀座ビル2階
Wagashi are confections served in traditional tea ceremonies to evoke nature and the seasons. Try searching for videos of wagashi and you’ll find that it is a handmade art that requires one to be gentle and swift at the same time. Higashiya Ginza...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Air Travel New Aviation Bill Could Mean Even Smaller Airplane Seats
- 4 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 5 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village