7 Places To Explore In Puerto Vallarta
Collected by Katherine Kneier, AFAR Staff
Juárez 122, Centro, 48300 Puerto Vallarta, Jal., Mexico
I love watching sunsets in Puerta Vallarta! Here, the river runs into the ocean: kids play in the river while surfers and swimmers bob up and down on glowing orange waves. Nearby, there are theatrical street shows, a market, lots of shops and...
Sayulita, Nayarit, Mexico
Guadalajara visitors craving an escape from the city should know that the ocean breeze isn’t far away. The bohemian beach town of Sayulita is about a four-hour drive, and even closer by plane. Popular in the 1960s among American and Canadian...
Av. Francisco Medina s/n, Lázaro Cárdenas, 48330 Puerto Vallarta, Jal., Mexico
Dinners at Hacienda Del Puente are incredible, but lunches are less expensive and you have the place to yourself. Sure, the mariachi band isn't there to entertain you—but the house's architecture details are enough to do so on their own.
Zaragoza 38, Centro, 46600 Ameca, Jal., Mexico
This bar is a couple hours east Puerto Vallarta. Not only is it quite colorful, one can observe that the beer is never too cold. That's OK at this altitude. The drive to the bar from Puerto Vallarta is interesting, and the town itself is worth a...
Malecón, Amapas, 48399 Puerto Vallarta, Jal., Mexico
This novel walking tour combines a power work-out with sightseeing. You'll climb a steep hill to reach a look-out spot with sweeping views of Vallarta and Banderas Bay, then descend to see Elizabeth Taylor's and Richard Burton's former homes (and...
- 1Travel NewsTSA Implements New Carry-On Rules for Powders
- 2Travel NewsThere’s a Huge Sale on the Most Scenic U.S. Train Routes Right Now
- 3Where to Go in SummerHow to Take the Houseboat Vacation of Your Dreams This Summer
- 4Hiking + CyclingSecluded Mountain Restaurants That Are Worth the Trek
- 5Travel NewsA Travel Company Wants to Send You on a 2,200-Mile Mystery Trip Through Central Asia