6 Places to Explore in Budapest
Collected by Afar Magazine
In the June/July 2013 issue, Taras Grescoe seeks (and finds) the wonderful disorientation of travel in Europe's most enigmatic city. Here, AFAR curates 6 more places to explore.
Budapest, Klauzál tér 9, 1072 Hungary
Stick-to-the-ribs staples such as kaposztas kocka (a dish of cabbage and pasta) and solet (smoked pork and baked beans) are served at this no-frills, plastic-tablecloth joint in the old Jewish Quarter. Autographed photos of celebrities who have...
Budapest, Erzsébet krt. 9, 1073 Hungary
A glass-roofed atrium welcomes guests to a majestic hotel in the heart of the city. The common areas are decked out in marble and brocade, and chandeliers and bronze sculptures grace the 185 rooms. The historic New York Cafe, opened in 1894 and...
Budapest, Kazinczy u. 14, 1075 Hungary
An edgy crowd gathers at Szimpla Kert, a wacky ruin pub in the old Jewish Quarter. On entering, you’ll be overwhelmed by the maze of rooms, where you might find recycled computer monitors, towering piles of books, hookah pipes, or live...
Budapest, Gerlóczy u. 1, 1052 Hungary
A corkscrew staircase rises to a stained glass ceiling and leads to 19 rooms, some of which have clawfoot tubs. The adjoining cafe, where guidebook writer Andras Torok can frequently be found sipping espresso, serves breakfast, and treats in the...
- 1 Air Travel Want a Free Volunteer Vacation? JetBlue Has Your Ticket
- 2 News and Openings 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 3 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys
- 4 Travel News New Zealand’s Most Beautiful Train Ride Is Reopening in December
- 5 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet