12 Portraits of Haleakala
Collected by Andrea Rip, AFAR Local Expert
Haleakalā, Hawaii 96790, USA
We awoke at 2:30am to take a van up to the top of Maui's Mt. Haleakala to witness the Hawaiian sunrise. It was very cold & windy, something you would not expect on Maui. The light from the sun spread all across the horizon, and when it finally...
Kula, HI 96790, USA
My mom promised me when I finished college that we'd take a trip to Hawaii where she claimed was the most amazing sunrises. I never finished, dropping out after 3 yrs. Besides being a bit disappointed, Hawaii on the back burner, time went on....
Haleakalā, a huge and dormant shield volcano, forms more than 75 percent of Maui's landmass. As such, it pretty much demands you ascend it to peer down into the crater, into the island's very soul. Legend claims the demigod Māui snared the sun...
S High St, Wailuku, HI 96793, USA
The fragrance of plumeria and gentle island breezes greet you upon your arrival in to Maui. Soon after you've de-boarded the plane, received an elegant tuberose lei and picked up your bags, you're off to pick up your rental car. The woman behind...
My family and I did the sunrise experience on Haleakala in Maui. Besides being freezing, it was absolutely stunning to watch the sun come up over the rim of the volcano. If you're up for it, you can also hike down into the crater for a few hours,...
- 1 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 2 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 3 Air Travel American Airlines Now Has Free Live TV on Domestic Flights—but There’s a Catch
- 4 Museums + Galleries Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna
- 5 Bars + Nightlife The Best Rooftop Bars in Los Angeles