- 1 / 11Esalen Institute, Big Sur, CaliforniaSet at the edge of the Pacific coast among majestic redwood groves is the Esalen Institute, a remote wellness retreat offering a variety of workshops, treatments, and courses designed to inspire transformations from within. Awaken the subconscious with a series of awareness courses, or indulge in a signature Esalen massage to the tune of rhythmic waves crashing ashore. Feel pure tranquility in one of the cliffside hot springs as you gaze out at the horizon over purple-sand beaches. The isolated property is completely off the grid (that means no cell phones!) for a truly detoxifying and re-energizing experience.
Book your trip: Esalen InstituteCourtesy of Esalen Institute
- 2 / 11Absolute Sanctuary, ThailandAbsolute Sanctuary fulfills the promise of its moniker by offering a holistic approach to health and healing. Located on Thailand’s Koh Samui, also known as the island of healing, the wellness retreat is hidden in a lush forest. Its restaurant, The Love Kitchen, serves natural and organic superfoods while fitness instructors tailor yoga, pilates, and exercise classes toward each individual’s unique needs. Select from specialized packages focusing on detox, weight management, anti-stress, and lifestyle changes or create an à la carte experience between dips in the infinity pool and treks to Chaweng beach.
Book your trip: Absolute SanctuaryCourtesy of Absolute Sanctuary
- 3 / 11The Farm at San Benito, PhilippinesJust north of Manila in a tropical jungle is the world-renowned eco-sanctuary known as The Farm at San Benito. From luxurious villas to award-winning vegan cuisine, the entire Farm experience is thoughtfully designed to restore internal and external balance. Treatment packages are divided into three categories: holistic, which offers reiki, psychoemotional clearing, and art therapy; healing, which provides purification treatments like alkaline baths; and aqua, which features hydrotherapy. There is also an assortment of medical cleanses, which are monitored by licensed professionals, for extra peace of mind.
Book your trip: The Farm at San BenitoCourtesy of The Farm at San Benito
- 4 / 11Amangiri, UtahA concrete escape nestled deep inside a secret valley on the Arizona-Utah border, Amangiri is a Native American–inspired haven for rejuvenation. Clever architecture seamlessly blends with desert vistas at the five-star resort, with each room featuring fold-open windows and private terraces. The 25,000 square-foot Aman Spa is the real draw, with traditional Navajo treatment services that pay homage to the four elements of earth, wind, fire, and water. Achieve equilibrium in one of the many wellness pavilions before a canyon hike or catching the southwestern sunset.
Book your trip: AmangiriCourtesy of Aman Resorts
- 5 / 11Nishiyama Onsen, JapanThis 8th-century onsen sits at the intersection of two roaring rivers, hours away from civilization. Family-owned for 52 generations, the onsen attracts global patronage for its private natural spas. The focus of the historic inn is on cleansing the body and centering the mind; guests are given traditional kimonos and slippers to don between arrival and departure to reconcile the physical with the metaphysical self. A typical day features dips in the spa’s healing waters, a tea ceremony on a riverside deck, and a traditional kaiseki meal of foraged local ingredients.
Book your trip: Nishiyama OnsenCourtesy of Nishiyama Onsen
- 6 / 11Aro Ha, New ZealandAro Ha, meaning “divine breath,” is an alpine wellness retreat for the fitness-inclined located in New Zealand’s southern Alps. A wooden chalet surrounded by snow-capped mountains with breathtaking views of Lake Wakatipu, the health and hiking center features an array of wellness adventures designed around the tenets of mindfulness, relating, eating, activity, and healing. The cuisine on offer is vegetarian, paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, and thoughtfully prepared (meaning: It’s a delicious way to cleanse).
Book your trip: Aro HaCourtesy of Aro Ha
- 7 / 11Haramara Retreat, MexicoSayulita’s secluded seaside getaway is an environmentally conscious paradise with private beach access, an on-site wellness therapy center, and yoga shalas with panoramic views. Thatched-roof cabanas provide just the right amount of seclusion while still letting in that healing ocean breeze, but it’s the temazcal sweatlodge ceremony—a divine spiritual exercise—that’s the main attraction for those looking to purify the body and soul.
Book your trip: Haramara RetreatCourtesy of Haramara Retreat
- 8 / 11Sukhavati Ayurvedic Retreat and Spa, Bali, IndonesiaAyurveda is an ancient Indian natural healing practice incorporating yoga asanas with meditation and herbal medications for an organic approach to the “science of life.” The Sukhavati Retreat, a traditional Balinese estate with stone paths overlooking the Penet River, offers a three-day Recharge, seven-day Refresh, or 10-day Revive retreat with therapeutic consultations, daily yoga and spa services, and fresh juices and ayurvedic meals for holistic rejuvenation.
Book your trip: Sukhavati Ayurvedic Retreat and SpaCourtesy of Sukhavati Ayurvedic Retreat and Spa
- 9 / 11Montego Bay at Round Hill Resort, JamaicaDetox Caribbean style with a series of tropical treatments at the secluded Montego Bay spa, located within Jamaica’s Round Hill bungalow hideaway resort. Start with a seaside massage, followed by a series of signature island rituals that incorporate elements native to the region, such as the Jamaican Coffee Bean Scrub or Pineapple Body Buff, and finish with a Vichy shower therapy for the ultimate skincare experience.
Book your trip: Montego Bay at Round Hill ResortCourtesy of Montego Bay at Round Hill Resort
- 10 / 11Lanserhof Tegernsee, GermanyBavarian wellness paradise Lanserhof Tegernsee caters to the symbiosis of body, mind, and psyche with a modern and natural approach to healing. The proprietary LANS Med Concept, developed and refined over decades, incorporates psychology with chronomedicine (a practice that uses natural cycles, such as daily cycles of light and dark, to heal) to fight diseases and promote health. Individualized attention from trained therapists helps rid the body of toxins and the mind of bad habits, like smoking, while leaving you with the most valuable takeaway: the healing power of self-awareness.
Book your trip: Lanserhof TegernseeCourtesy of Lanserhof Tegernsee
- 11 / 11