The Varner-Hogg Plantation State Historic Site in West Columbia is a former sugar plantation that comprises a restored Greek Revival Great House, landscaped grounds, sugarcane mill ruin, the site of slave quarters, and a pecan orchard. The plantation was first settled by Martin Varner in 1824 but was purchased by sugar plantation baron Columbus Patton who had the antebellum mansion built using bricks that were handmade with Brazos River mud. The house and grounds were later purchased by Texas Governor James. S. Hogg whose famous philanthropist daughter, Ima, filled the home with valuable examples of nineteenth-century furnishings. Ima Hogg donated the home to the state in 1957 and it's now a Texas Historical Commission site.