141 Spring St, Newport, RI 02840, USA
Trinity ChurchHome to an Episcopal parish formed in 1698, Trinity Church was built in 1726 to replace a smaller church. The airy interior of the wooden structure features box pews, which were useful in blocking the cold drafts of a New England winter. Note the long rods above the pews of the churchwardens—they were used to prod or nudge anyone who fell asleep during a long sermon. Silver plaques affixed to another pew commemorate some famous visitors to the church, including George Washington and Archbishop Desmond Tutu.