Located in Upper Town, the Ursulines Museum (Musée des Ursulines de Québec) sits next to the order's complex of buildings, many constructed during the 17th century. Much of the history of New France is tied to religious orders, and the Ursulines were the first nuns to arrive in the New World. After landing in 1639, they settled in Lower Town; the convent moved to its current location just three years later. The Ursulines' mission became the education of girls, both those in indigenous families and those in the families of settlers. The museum contains artifacts from the school, paintings and sculpture; there's also a chapel that's notable for its fine 18th-century woodwork.