China's largest royal park was once called the Garden of Cultivated Harmony. It took its current name when Empress Dowager Cixi used some money earmarked for the Navy and rebuilt the park, which had been destroyed during the second Opium War in the mid-19th century. It was damaged again during the Boxer Rebellion in 1900. Imperial rule in China ended in 1901, and in 1924 the Summer Palace opened to the public. The grounds are covered in traditional Chinese pavilions, halls and temples.