There are only a handful of pre-Civil War brick homes left in Western North Carolina, and the Reynolds Mansion BB is one of them. Built in 1847, just a few miles today from downtown Asheville and about 7 miles from the Biltmore Estate, this large two-story Colonial Revival home on the National Registry of Historic Places remains much as it was 170 years ago, save for the addition of a few bathrooms and other modern conveniences. While the original estate was 1,500 acres, Reynolds Mansion now sits on the last remaining 4 acres, surrounded by Reynolds Village and other developments – but is still a tranquil respite with gorgeously maintained gardens and grounds, and a spring-fed pool. Most of the eight guestrooms (located in the main house) and three carriage-house suites feature fireplaces and either Jacuzzi or claw-foot tubs; rooms on the first and second floor retain the original 16-foot ceilings. The owners take the “breakfast” in their name seriously: There’s one seating, at 9 a.m., either in the formal dining room or, weather permitting, on one of the porches; expect excellent coffee and fruit dishes, followed by seasonally rotating menu of hearty main dishes, often made with eggs that the owners collect from their hens.