Like the Mission Nuestra Señora de la Bahia del Espíritu Santo, the chapel at the fort of La Bahía was founded in 1749. The chapel served the garrison soldiers and their families and, also like the mission church, was built of stone and mortar in a Spanish Colonial style (seen here is the gate the connected the chapel courtyard with the presidio courtyard). As Our Lady of Loreto Chapel, it remains an active Catholic community and part of the diocese of Victoria, Texas. The reconstruction of the presidio—undertaken in the 1960s—includes the officers quarters (now a museum), quadrangle, and bastions. The setting provides a vivid context for the chapel and, for the visitor, an invaluable view into history.