Piazza del Duomo
Pisa DuomoPisa’s enormous cathedral was begun in the 11th century, and is one of the finest examples of Pisan Romanesque architecture. The four-tiered, milky-white marble facade is decorated with Moorish mosaics. A fire in 1595 destroyed the original bronze doors of the main entrance; the replacements are by the sculptor Giambologna. The same fire devastated Pisano’s magnificent Gothic pulpit, but this was reassembled in the 1920s. The mosaic behind the altar is by the great Florentine artist Cimabue.