Parkdale, Toronto, ON, Canada
A Parkdale JauntThis west-end 'hood used to be a swanky waterfront spot until the Gardiner Expressway was built, drawing a working-class community. A bit of an unraveling followed, and it wasn't until recently that Parkdale got its groove back.
Now the westernmost strip of Queen Street has much to brag about, and is free from chain shops that plague the formerly cool strip east of Bathurst. Starting at Dufferin and progressing west, these are some of my favourite stops:
- pick up some cool vintage finds at House of Vintage (the second location's in Londontown) and Public Butter
- grab a tasty oven-fresh muffin at Capital Espresso
- pick up some show-stopping bras, a pair of well-made jeans or a Herschel knapsack at The Future of Frances Watson
- chomp on some tasty tacos at Grand Electric (a line-up will likely be involved)
- squint at a million crystal chandeliers at Sam the Chandelier Man's teeny tiny shop
- mentally (or actually) redecorate your humble abode at any or all of the amazing antique shops by Roncesvalles
- quirky design finds (many brought in from Japan) at Studio Brillantine
I could go on...