75004 Paris, France
All In a Days RunEver been in a city for less than a day, and wanted to see it all?
This winter, my husband and I had a half day in the architectural marvel that is Paris. With less than half a morning to spare, we needed an ingenious way to see the city's highlights. So here is what we did. We woke up at 6am, strapped on our running shoes, and ran through the city. Believe you me, a blood orange sunrise at Notre Dame with no tourists in sight - it doesn't get any better. Here is what we did (timings are slight approximates):
1. 6:30 First Stop : Notre Dame. Catch the sunrise, run around the cathedral and across the 2 bridges that flank it. Carry on to the Louvre.
2. 7:00 : Enter Louvre grounds, run through the archways and the garden area. Take some photos and make our way to the Grand Roue (or Big Wheel). Gorgeous view from here!
3. 7:45-8:30: Walk/Run through Champs Elysees till the Franklin D Roosevelt subway roudabout, and turned towards Avenue Montaigne. Cross the Seine and lo & behold, we see the Eiffel Tower!
4. 9:00 : Run towards the prized landmark, along the Seine, touch and end. Enjoy a croissant on our way to the nearest subway station, breathe, soak it all in.
5. 945: Take the train back to our hotel.
After this trip, I know the best way to explore any city is [fast] on your feet.