Newport Historic District
Newport, RI 02840, USA
Newport Historic DistrictAs with most port towns, the area around Newport's waterfront was the first part of the city settled when colonists arrived in 1639. A remarkable number of colonial buildings still stand and are still in use within the 100-hectare (250-acre) swath of the downtown area designated a National Historic Landmark. The shops and cafés along Thames Street; the stately buildings surrounding Washington Square, Touro Synagogue and Trinity Church; and the tidy, clapboard homes in the Point neighborhood all lie within the district and demand attention from architecture and history fans.