5 Cool things about Luxembourg
1. The “Luxembourg Question.” Throughout European history this question came up whenever any upheavals were present. What do we do with Luxembourg? This tiny country has been passed through the hands (also fought for) of France, Germany, Spain, Austria, Belgium, etc.. It reminds me of an orphan; no one knows what to do with it or whether they want it, but at the same time, it's been romanticized for its unique and quirky character.
2. Today Luxembourg is its own country and the only grand duchy in the world.
3. It has its own language, a combination of French and German called Luxembourgish.
4. It's tiny! 82 km (51 mi) long and 57 km (35 mi) wide.
5. There is lots of elevation change within Luxembourg City because it straddles a deep canyon. All the different levels of the city mean not only ramps and stairs, but beautiful views and impressive bridges that go from one side to the other. Because Luxembourg is built alongside of a ravine, it is often called the best "balcony of Europe."
Have you been here? Share a tip or a photo with fellow travelers.