Feldmühlgasse 11, 1130 Wien, Austria
Photo courtesy of Klimt Villa
Klimt VillaFor the last seven years of his life, Gustav Klimt worked in a small studio in the leafy Hietzing district in western Vienna. A few years after his death in 1918, the studio now known as the Klimt Villa was turned by its owner from the garden cottage that it originally was into a baroque-ish villa. After years of reconstructing Klimt’s atelier, the house at Feldmühlgasse 11 opened in 2012 in tribute to the Austrian artist who in recent years has eclipsed all others in fame. Replica Wiener Werkstätte furnishings are based on photographic archives, while Klimt’s original drafts and drawings are displayed. Nearby, design fans can admire Otto Wagner’s restored Hofpavillion, a splendorous private royal chamber at the Hietzing railway station.